Call us to schedule a free case evaluation.
A serious car, truck, bicycle, or motorcycle accident can happen anywhere. You can be injured in a parking lot, on the freeway, or on your neighborhood streets. In addition to the immediate pain and suffering of your injuries, you may also suffer other financial and emotional losses as well. This is especially true if your injuries are serious enough to warrant hospitalization, ongoing care, and time off from work.
If you need help recovering compensation after a crash that wasn’t your fault, contact the Law Offices of Joshua Cohen Slatkin to schedule a free case evaluation. We will collect the evidence necessary to prove liability for your accident, calculate the value of your claim, negotiate a fair settlement for damages, and go to trial if necessary.
California's roads and highways see a variety of modes of transportation, and we have experience representing drivers of all kinds of vehicles. Whatever kind of vehicle accident you were involved in, we will fight to get you the compensation you deserve. We have successfully handled accidents involving:
- Cars & SUVs: When you are injured because another driver violated a traffic law, you should be fairly compensated. It does not matter what sort of vehicle you choose to drive. We will represent you if you were in a sub-compact or a full-size SUV.
- Motorcycles and Bicycles. Motorcyclists and bicyclists are particularly vulnerable to serious injury when other drivers are careless or negligent, but they are often blamed for accidents that are not their fault. Our team is experienced in representing motorcycle and bicycle riders in accident claims.
- Semi-trucks. Victims of crashes with semi-trucks not only face catastrophic injuries, but they also face a team of attorneys protecting the trucking company and the at-fault driver. We do not shy away from these difficult claims, and we will fight for the compensation you deserve when a distracted, fatigued, or drugged truck driver causes your injuries.
Vehicle Accidents Can Have Life-Altering Consequences
Even when you have taken the appropriate safety precautions, such as wearing a seatbelt or a motorcycle helmet, you can still suffer life-long debilitating injuries in a serious vehicle crash. Our goal is to fully assess your injuries and get you the compensation you will need for your entire lifetime when you suffer the following types of injuries:
- Traumatic brain injury: Concussions and severe brain injuries can occur even when the head does not suffer a direct impact in a vehicle crash. These injuries can damage motor and cognitive functions and potentially require life-long care.
- Spinal cord damage: A catastrophic crash can cause irreparable damage to the spinal cord, which can cause paralysis from the point of injury to the lower body.
- Burns: When a vehicle collision causes a fire, the occupants can suffer severe burns all over their bodies.
- Fractures: Broken bones, including pelvic fractures, are common in vehicle crashes. While certain kinds of fractures heal completely, others can cause long-term or lifelong physical disabilities.
- Amputations: Motorcycle and bicycle riders and victims of semi-truck crashes may experience the loss of a limb in the accident. This life-changing injury will require many years of treatment and rehabilitation.
- Wrongful Death: When a loved one is killed in a vehicle accident, surviving family members may be able to file a wrongful death claim to recover damages on his or her behalf.
Proving Fault in California Vehicle Crashes Is Not Always Easy or Simple
Evidence is necessary to prove that the other driver acted carelessly, which is referred to as being negligent under the law. Some evidence may be readily available, such as a police report, photographs from the scene, or eyewitness statements. Other evidence may be more difficult to obtain, such as video from nearby surveillance cameras and/or testimony from expert witnesses. An experienced car accident attorney can help you get the evidence needed to prove the other driver was at-fault for the collision so you can receive the full settlement or judgment you deserve.
Some accidents, such as those involving semi-trucks, require evidence that may be even more difficult to obtain. If you were in a truck accident, we will send the trucking company a “spoliation letter” directing the trucking company to preserve evidence such as:
- Driver hour logs
- Drug and alcohol test results
- Data from the truck’s black box
- Maintenance records
- The truck itself
- Any other accident-related evidence in the company’s possession
No matter what type of crash you were in, we will help you compile evidence to value and prove all your financial and emotional losses stemming from the accident.
Your medical records and medical bills play a central role in the value of your case. Other evidence to prove your damages may include:
- Bills related to medical care
- Pictures of your damaged car or motorcycle
- Any torn or bloody clothing
- A damaged motorcycle helmet
- Pictures of your injuries
- Documentation of lost wages
- Receipts from accident-related out-of-pocket expenses
- A journal documenting the emotional impact of the accident
Request our free e-book, Your Personal Injury Guide: 10 Things You Should Know About Your Personal Injury Case, to learn more about the evidence you can use in a vehicle accident case.
You Are Now a Victim and Need Someone Who Can Protect Your Rights After a California Car Crash
As a car accident victim, you might think it will be easy to recover the compensation you need from an insurance company. However, the insurance company is not on your side. The insurance adjuster may use tactics and tricks to pay out as little as possible in your case and to get you to agree to a settlement quickly before you fully understand all of your long-term damages.
Our team knows the insurance company’s tactics and how to defend against them. Having a lawyer evaluate and take the necessary steps to maximize your claim and review any settlement offers will maximize the compensation you deserve and receive. Once you agree to a settlement, you lose the right to recover any further compensation in the case.
We will file your claim, represent your best interests, and negotiate a fair settlement with the insurance company based on the value of your case. If the insurance company does not want to settle, we can and will file a lawsuit and go to trial if necessary.
An Early Settlement Is Rarely Fair
Early settlement offers rarely account for all of the damages you incurred and result in the full compensation you deserve. You can recover medical bills (past and future), lost wages (past and future), and emotional damages like pain and suffering. Before you accept a settlement offer, ask yourself the following questions:
- Has a doctor provided a prognosis and indicated future medical treatment for my injury?
Unless your doctor has given you a prognosis and explained how long he or she believes the injury will affect you, you should not accept a settlement.
- Does the settlement cover all my injury costs?
This should include past medical bills and any ongoing care you may require in the future.
- How long will my injury keep me out of work?
- What are the long-term consequences of my injuries?
Will my injury take months or years off my ability to work and earn a living? Will I require additional future medical treatment? Your settlement should cover any future lost wages as well as any lost earning capacity in addition to future medical treatment. We will hire the right team of medical and economic experts to determine these potential future lost wages.
- Does the settlement cover my emotional injuries?
This accident has changed your life and caused you emotional suffering. Insurers may not offer compensation for emotional damages. When we are involved, the settlement will cover pain and suffering, anxiety, mental anguish, and lost quality of life.
We will review the settlement offer and ensure it covers everything it should. If not, we will negotiate with the insurer or take the case to court.
Take the First Steps Toward Getting Your Life Back
The Law Offices of Joshua Cohen Slatkin works with southern California car, truck, bicycle, and motorcycle accident victims, helping them recover the full amount of compensation they deserve. Contact us today to schedule a free, no-obligation consultation to discuss your case and get started filing your claim. With our client satisfaction guarantee, you have nothing to lose and everything to gain!
For helpful tips on what to do as your case progresses, sign up for our free newsletter.